Monday 18 October 2010

Daring to Run Against the Storm




I received an lovely email from one of my young leaders which shed light on the task of growing leadership. She said:

"I don't think there is anything particularly remarkable about those of us in BCLS, we were just given the opportunity, resources and support we needed to deliver. I'm very proud of what we achieved but we certainly couldn't have done it without your groundwork and you setting up those conditions and I'm truly grateful for the experience. I agree with you, given the same opportunities, resources and support young people anywhere could replicate exactly what we did and even take it further and in their own directions. BCLS taught me a great deal about what I'm capable of and more people should have those benefits and that empowerment".

The rest of her email reminded me why I feel so alive in their company. It calls to mind the lyrics of Ella's Song:
To me young people come first, they have the courage where we fail 
And if I can but shed some light as they carry us through the gale
The older I get the better I know that the secret of my going on
Is when the reins are in the hands of the young, who dare to run against the storm 
Now I am left feeling that the judgement of Gen Y as "having a loud voice...and are very forceful" is so negating of their desire  "to build partnerships based on key values, and...mak[e] a difference in the world.” 

As many Boomer leaders ponder "how to handle these upstarts" (1) I am coming to realize their attitude is symptomatic of an anxiety of what is to come. It is the stuff of life: an unfolding drama of waning power confronted by vitality.

So the task for Gen Y is to find kindred spirits across the generations. Who will find it thrilling as you 'dare to run against the storm'?

Like Lindsay-Kay, what impact will you make knowing that:

 ‎"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means " Albert Einstien 


No comments:

Post a Comment