Thursday 9 September 2010

Drilling Beyond the Surface

I suppose the challenge of Gen-Y leadership development is, where to start?


For me, the starting point was borne of necessity. I had found I'd inherited of a failing organization and confronted by an apathetic incumbent team, I looked to students from Gen-Y to help me turn things around.


Originally, we began by drilling beyond the surface of our core values to re-conceive what Quality would look and feel like. It soon led us to an understanding how these values must be expressed through the behaviors and traits of everyone in the organization and eventually to how all systems and processes should support and facilitate them too. It was a eureka moment!


Armed with  this insight, our ability to recruit the 'right' people transformed; and we quickly found ourselves moving from being a 'cornered' leadership into an engaged leadership - confident in our team's ability to overcome any obstacle.

It leads me to ask, how often do we take the time to audit the vibrancy of core values in the life of our organizations?


And, what is the consequence to performance and effectiveness?

No comments:

Post a Comment