Friday 27 August 2010

"Grooming the Leaders We Deserve"

I am grateful to be introduced to Organization Unbound, a blog "attempting to re-imagine the way we think about and engage with social change." It rightly cites that in so many organizations, the disconnection between vision and culture is a major stumbling block for social change. They asked: how many community organizations display little community within? 


It prompted me to recall the many painful experiences where this was so; where the fundamentals of respect were absent and the politics of disrespect reigned supreme. Yet, these experiences were the spur for me to try to do better - for such was the waste: of time, of energy, of talent and money.


And now I remember my growing pains as a leader and those who, over the years, have come to be my critical friends. Each, in their own way, challenged me to confront the one question that we, as a sector, seldom ask:  


What is the cost of failure to perform?


Yet, it is the question that as leaders we must engage with. If not, all efforts and resources will fail to achieve the ultimate goal: social change. What this means, is for us to decide as a sector.


Meanwhile, these encounters invariably felt brutal and often akin to a personal attack. However, in time I came to differentiate between busy activity and purposeful activity. Thus began the most difficult journey for me: moving from my need to be liked, to taking responsibility for the consequences of under- or non-performance.


Although painful at times, I eventually came to accept that my primary responsibility was to ensure that all effort was directed toward fulfilling the purpose of the organization in the most effective and efficient way possible.


It was the making of me: for too long I had disabled myself with my anxiety over the welfare of staff and their livelihood. Thankfully, I did eventually get it clear in my head, and in my heart, that it was fair to expect everyone involved to do their best and that my job was to:

  • Set out my expectations of what was required of them as individuals, team members and representatives of the organization
  • Provide appropriate support to enable each of them to perform optimally 
  • Streamline systems, processes and procedures to facilitate their effort

Armed with this clarity, I eventually learned to manage the tension between the politics and culture of the organization to ensure that progress toward the organization's purpose was the focus of all activity.


Creating a culture for this to flourish is something that inspiring leaders do well. For me, it was done through a deep engagement with core values and articulating the behaviour I expected of us all. This proved easier said than done - for it threatened the status quo: but once achieved, it more than paid off in terms of performance.


Suddenly, there was a unity between values and: culture, politics, behaviour, vision and performance. Finally, I came to experience the  meaning of the adage: preparation creates opportunity from which magic flows.


Therefore, preparation of young leaders must begin with a process by which  they fathom out the  connection between vision, values and culture. Only then will they work out how they will achieve a clear sense of purpose.


Inevitably, it will involve personal challenge for them too. But it will allow for strong leaders to emerge with the attributes delineated in Jean Crawford's report, Profiling the Nonprofit Leader: getting the leaders we need.....grooming the leaders we deserve.*




* For a copy of the report please email me (maviscfernandes@gmail.com) and I will happily send you a copy


















No comments:

Post a Comment